Sunday, May 20, 2007

WHAT DA HACKER!

Most Famous Hackers

1. Jonathan James – First juvenile to be sent to prison at age 16. Hacked into NASA, Department of Defense and the Department of Justice
2. Adrian Lamo – Dubbed the "Homeless Hacker" he used coffee shop hotspost as locations to perform his hacking. Hacked into The New York Times and Microsoft.
3. Kevin Mitnick – Went on a coast-to-coast hacking spree. Spent 5 years in prison, 8 months in confinement and is now a computer security consultant, author and speaker.
4. Kevin Poulsen – Dubbed as the “Hannibal Lecter of computer crimes”. When his profile appeared on the TV show “Unsolved Mysteries”, all their 1-800 lines became dysfunctional.
5. Robert Tappan Morris – Creator of the “Morris Worm” which is the first worm to be unleashed on the Internet.



Dam IT!

My computer I slowing down again…time to scan!

I am not a serious internet user; I leave that up to my son. I do spend quite a bit of time on MSN speaking with friends around the world. Buds that I can’t call up and hit Starbuck’s with for a coffee...to me MSN has been the greatest personal aspect of the internet. My Internet history, if viewed would probably read something like this:

http://mbacanuck.blogspot.com/
http://www.philippegauthier.info/
http://youtube.com/
http://www.mls.ca/
http://bodybuilding.com/
http://www.nbpfa.com/
http://www.cnn.com/

My son Sam, upon arrival at home after school, is permitted a half hour on the PC to play games and visit the sites that he has accumulated over the years for his entertainment. It actually gives me time to start supper for the guys before we run off to Tak Kwon Do. Sam’s introduction to a computer came at a very early age. We had purchased him many educational software packages at a young age and he was surfing when he still had dimples in his hands.

Weekly I scan the PCs in my house for Spyware and Viruses. I don’t understand why organizations want information on an 8 year old kid who plays games inline. His profile might show that he is interested in Pokémon or Sony PS2. He still does not have the financial resources to follow his interests and NO, I am not raising his allowance to $50.00 a week.

I guess pumping out Internet ads on addictedtogames.com serves the same purpose of the twenty plus commercials that they view on YTV when they are watching TV.

I just wish these ad companies would turn towards marketing programs that benefit a healthier lifestyle. Why would they not promote ads that tell children to go out and play road hockey, eat your veggies, and study hard to get good grades? I guess that is up to us as parents. As a Generation Xer, I have enrolled my kids into as many activities as possible; Hockey, soccer, ballet & jazz, Baseball this summer and hopefully football this fall.

CNNMoney.com says to do these steps to warn off potential hackers that might be your neighbour across the street.

· Keep your computer up to date
· Use security software
· But don’t rely on it (security software) – security software is usually not up to date of new viruses
· Take away your PC’s superpowers
· Get a router and lock it down
· Be careful at the coffee shop
· Get smart – and get real – about passwords
· Know how your computer watches you
· Shred or Smash.

By typing in “how to hack a computer” on youtube search provides over 6000 different video clips that will teach procedures on how to search and destroy someone’s PC system.

Parental advisory warning - Strong Language

No comments: