Sunday, May 20, 2007

IS CANADIAN IT INSTITUES FAILING?

In 1985, after graduating from I school; I set my sights on higher education and entered the Commerce program at the University of New Brunswick. Two years into the program, and through some influential connections, I was offered employment with the General Motors Corporation Atlantic Zone offices. During my last 21 years of service I had entered into many evening classes in hopes to finishes my under-graduate…Well, Sam and Lauren arrived into my life, and studies unfortunately, became increasingly lower on the priority list. How was I to know that in November 2006, my position would be moved to Montreal and my career would suddenly come to a halt?

Now with the free time available, I again looked forward to higher education and finishing my degree. I researched many different programs available and finally decided to obtaining my MBA through UdeM.



After, two weeks into Human Resource Management it became very apparent that I was not going to survive on my old desktop PC and called and purchased Dell (You’re getting a Dell Dude!).



AUGH!

I have not had the greatest experience with my new computer so far…most of the software sent from Dell was not compatible with the new Window’s Vista operating system and it required me to install new drivers prior to installation just to get the applications to function. I had to save all my assignments in older versions of software applications just so the professor would be capable of opening them when emailed. In the first days I spent many hours on the phone with Dell’s helpdesk to resolve my issues.

Dell’s helpdesk is in India, not in North America where I would have thought. It makes me wonder, that with the shortage of employees in Canada and the government’s incentive programs to allure foreign talent to Canada to fill jobs. Why would they outsource call centers to differencing countries?

Countries and services provided:

India – Provides a full range of employment
China – Programming
Russia – Programming and Research & Development
Pakistan – Programming and Customer Support
Nepal – Programming and Customer Support
Bangladesh – Web & Software programming, IT Support, Game development, Network solutions
Bulgaria - Programming and Research & Development
Philippines – Programming, Research & Development, Data Entry, and Customer Support